PalmSHIELD is excited to announce the addition of our new aluminum bar grating railing and fence panel system specifications and CAD drawings. This information will make it easy and complete for architects and engineers to provide a complete set of specifications for bar grating panel systems. PalmSHIELD has been successfully manufacturing aluminum and steel bar grating railing products for over twenty-five years.
Our new bar grating system is a complement to our current array of louvered, square mesh and perforated metal systems. All of PalmSHIELD’s products utilize our proven picture frame system, engineered structural post design, Gorilla hinges, internal locking device and fully framed gates.
SECTION 32 31 13
BAR GRATING ALUMINUM FENCE AND GATES
The specifier will need to edit this product specification for a specific project to reflect the options and applications being used. This guide section has been written to show items to be determined reflected in italic red. PalmSHIELD does not warrant that these specifications are complete and applicable to all applications. It is the specifier’s responsibility to assure that use of PalmSHIELD is an appropriate fit for the site and conditions.
PART 1 – GENERAL
- This section describes the following fence system:
Fixed bar grating modular fencing panels fabricated with bar grating aluminum including extruded aluminum fence posts and aluminum gates. Bar grating aluminum security fence and gates shall be furnished and installed as shown on the plans and specified herein, overall height of vertical bar grating panel framework shall be (state height here) tall.
- Furnish materials, labor, expertise and equipment necessary to complete all work specified in this section and as shown on the drawings.
- Structural Performance: Provide product and installation capable of withstanding the effects of gravity loads and the following loads and stresses within limits and under conditions indicated.
- Uniform pressure of 30 lbf/sq. ft. acting inward or outward.
- Thermal Movements resulting from a temperature change (range) of 120 degrees Fahrenheit ambient and 180 degrees Fahrenheit material surfaces.
- Shop drawings and manufacturer’s literature: Provide specifications and construction detail drawings to substantiate quality of materials and provide details of fabrication and installation.
- Submittals shall be in accordance with standard construction practices to include complete detailed layout of all panels, posts, gates. Submittals shall include plan layout, elevations and section views of panels, posts and gates.
- Certificate: manufacturer’s certification that materials meet specification requirements.
- ASTM B 209 – Standard Specification for Aluminum and Aluminum-Alloy Sheet and Plate.
- ASTM B 221 – Standard Specification for Aluminum and Aluminum-Ally Extruded Bars, Rods, Wire, Profiles and Tubes.
- ASTM D3363 – Standard Test Method for Film Hardness by Pencil Test.
- ASTM D2794 – Standard Test Method for Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effects of Rapid Deformation.
- ASTM B117 – Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray Apparatus.
- ASTM D822 – Standard Practice for Filtered Open-Flame Carbon-Arc Exposures of Paint and Related Coatings.
- AWS D1.2 Structural Welding Code – Aluminum.
1.5 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Installation of fence and materials shall conform to the requirements of the fence manufacturer.
- The fence shall be warranted from any defects in materials and workmanship for a period as specified in the relevant section of the contract documents.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
A.)Bar grating security fence:
- Approved bar grating fence system, Manufacturer:
- “Palm Shield”, American Fence Company
- Infill Material Descriptions:
- Aluminum Type 6063-T6,
- GAL 100A
- Swage-Locked Construction
- 1″ x 1/8″ Bearing Bars
- 1-3/16″ on Center
- Regular Cross Bars 4″ on Center
- Extruded Aluminum: ASTM B 221, Alloy 6063 – Temper T-6.
- Sheet Aluminum: ASTM B211, Alloy 6063 – Temper T6.
- Powder Coating Material Hardness: ASTM 3363 2H.
2. Panel Description:
- Panel Height: (state height here)
- Bar grating panel width: Not to exceed 36” but to be evenly spaced in each run of screening.
- Bar grating fencing system consisting of horizontal, fixed bar grating, modular fence panels fabricated with extruded aluminum framing bars and supported by extruded aluminum fence posts.
- Vertical Framework: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch aluminum angle. Framework supporting the bar grating sheet shall be solid welded and mitered.
- Horizontal Top Cap: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch aluminum top cap.
- Horizontal Bottom Cap: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch angle bottom cap.
- Cross Bar: 2 inch x 1/8 inch aluminum flat bar.
3. Fence Posts:
- Panel posts shall be 4 inch square by ¼ inch minimum extruded tubular aluminum sections with solid aluminum caps. Length as specified on the contract drawings.
- On center post spacing shall be as specified by manufacturer.
- All fence posts to be plated with 10” x 10” x ¾” aluminum plates with four ¾” hole for anchors.
4. Fittings and accessories: All fittings and accessories shall be stainless steel and sized as specified by the fence manufacturer. Fence panels to be attached to posts with ¼” x 1” stainless steel screws. Panels and posts are predrilled to support level installation.
5. Anchor Bolts: Anchor bolts shall be (state means of anchoring posts to adjoining surface. Please see our installation instructions for recommendations.) and adequate to support loads based on screening height, exposures and loading.
6. Gates: Swing to exterior of enclosure, size as shown on contract drawings.
- Bar grating panel style and appearance shall be identical to fence panels.
- Gate hinges to be Gorilla barrel hinge with ¾” rod, ball bearing, and grease zert. Hinge plate to be ½” thick plates offset to create a 5/8” gap. Standard hardware as required by the gate manufacturer for complete functional operation. Hinges to be bolted to gate frame and field welded to steel gate posts.
- Gate latch to be internal lock with exterior grab handles. Lock may be keyed and rekeyed. Lock is accessible from both sides of gate.
- Welded frame, size as shown on the contract drawings, extruded aluminum tubing with aluminum bar grating panels to match fencing material.
- Drop rods to be 1” schedule 40 pipe and through bolted to gate frame.
- Hardware: Size and type as determined by the manufacturer. Provide three hinges per leaf.
- Provide 1 inch diameter center cane bolt assembly and strike, each door.
- Provide PalmSHIELD exclusive internal locking device accessible from both sides of the gate and keyed.
- Gate shall have welded frame fabricated from extruded aluminum tubing with aluminum fixed bar grating panels to match fencing material. Frame configurations shall be as indicated on the contract drawings.
- Gate posts shall be as determined by manufacture. Gate posts to be specified to support gates.
6. Factory Finish: Aluminum fence panels, posts and gates shall receive polyester powder coating.
- Polyester powder coating: Electrostatically applied colored polyester powder coating heat cured to chemically bond finish to metal substrate.
- Color shall be as selected by Owner.
- Minimum hardness measured in accordance with ASTM D3363 2H.d.
- Direct impact resistance tested in accordance with ASTM D2794. Withstand 160 inch-pounds.
- Salt spray resistance tested in accordance with ASTM B117: No undercutting, rusting, or blistering after 500 hours in 5 percent salt spray at 95° F and 95% relative humidity after 1,000 hours, less than 3/16 inches undercutting.
- Weatherability tested in accordance with ASTM D822: No film failure and 88 percent gloss retention after 1 year exposure in South Florida with test panels tilted 45°.
PART 3 – EXECUTION
- Verify that final grading in fence location is completed and without irregularities which will interfere with fence installation. PalmShield is designed to be installed on a level surface. Variations in height, slopes, stairs steeping shall be shown on contract drawings and on submittal drawings.
- Field verify all fence dimensions and layout prior to commencing installation.
- Do not commence work until unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected.
- Install fence plumb and level. Posts are plated and mounted to top of surface.
- Do not install bent, bowed or otherwise damaged panels. Remove damaged components from site and replace.
- Secure fence panels with stainless with ¼” x 1” stainless steel screws to fence posts. All posts and panels will be predrilled to support level installation.
- Gates. Install gates and adjust hardware for smooth operation
- Installation to be in strict accordance with PalmSHIELD installation instructions. If not available, contact PalmSHIELD for instructions prior to
- performance or work.